FACEing Standards for Mathematical Practice Middle School
Mathematical Practices are eight essential processes and proficiencies with longstanding importance in math education. These include skills and habits intrinsic to successful problem solving, reasoning and proof, communication, representation, and relationships with the real world situations. The math practices promote proficiencies designed to reinforce fluency with math concepts, operations, tools, and strategies. Diligence and perseverance underpin each one of these 8 Math Practices:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Link here to download the face template!
Link here to download a sample lesson.